Letter from the Director: Albert Sangrà
Welcome to the new Industrial Doctorates Plan website. First of all, thank you for visiting us, I hope you'll take a good look at the site's various sections
The aims of the Industrial Doctorates Plan are to contribute to the competitiveness and internationalisation of the Catalan industrial fabric, attract talent and train PhD graduates for companies engaged in RDI projects.
The main element in the industrial doctorate process is the strategic research project of the company in which the PhD candidate undertakes their research training in collaboration with the university, and which is the subject of the doctoral thesis.
This enables companies to attract people with high added-value knowledge and skills, access cutting-edge groups at universities and research centres and their equipment and infrastructure, and obtain funding and benefit from tax deductions and rebates for RDI activities.
For Catalonia's universities, research centres and technology centres, industrial doctorate projects are a chance to transfer knowledge and technology to the productive sector and thus strengthen ties with the business world.
For the students, it is an excellent opportunity to join a highly innovative sector that combines academic supervision of their theses with the mentoring offered by the company under a three-year employment contract which includes, amongst other benefits, training in interdisciplinary competencies and a mobility fund.
I hope that this website provides a channel of communication between doctoral students, universities, companies and society in general
FACTS AND FIGURES (cumulative 2012-2022)
Five years on...
- 91% of academics consider an ID thesis to be on a par with a conventional academic thesis.
- 80% of academics think the publications produced are on a similar level to publications originating in academic theses.
- 90% of mentors think the presence of an industrial doctorand has had a positive influence on the company's operation and way of working.
- 19% of projects have given rise to a patent or utility model.
- 63% of projects have benefited from tax reductions or rebates.